Responsibilities & Duties
The County Attorney is the chief law enforcement official in Seward County. The office handles felony crimes, drug crimes, domestic batteries, juvenile crimes, and traffic prosecutions.
Russell Hasenbank is the County Attorney, having been appointed in 2014. The staff consists of 3 attorneys, a support staff of 1 Receptionist, 1 Victim/Witness coordinator, and 5 Legal Secretaries.
Participating Law Enforcement Agencies
The County Attorney's office receives and evaluates a wide array of criminal cases from numerous law enforcement agencies including:
- Seward County Sheriff's Office (SWSO)
- Liberal Police Department (LPD)
- Kansas Highway Patrol (KHP)
- Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI)
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (ATF)
- Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS)
- Department of Social & Rehabilitation Services (SRS)