Floodplain Management

Seward County, Kansas participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) which allows area residents to purchase affordable flood insurance. Any resident may purchase flood insurance through this program.

Participation in this program requires regulating all development in the floodplain. A Floodplain Development permit is required prior to ANY development. Applications for Floodplain Development permits are available from the Planning & Zoning Department.

Development, for floodplain management purposes, is defined as:
Any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including but not limited to buildings or other structures, levees, levee systems, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment or materials.

Paper Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) are available for review in the Planning & Zoning office during regular business hours.

Additionally, FEMA offers a free download called the National Flood Hazard Layer (NFHL) that allows anyone with Google Earth to view floodplain mapping data for any location that currently has a Digital Flood Insurance Rate Map (DFIRM), as well as user guides for both Google Earth and the FEMA NFHL.

Learn more about  the Seward County Floodplain Regulations

KDA-Division of Water Resources -digital flood map